Wednesday, January 8, 2014

My Baxter Missing Link

Like everyone else I too have my "problem" ancestors. This year I'm going to see if I can't resolve at least two of these brick walls. In this specific case it is Hannah Baxter, my 4th great grandmother. For the past 10+ years I've been trying to verify who her parents are. So what do I know so far?
  • She was born about 1801 (range 1801-1803 from census records) in the province of New Brunswick
  • She married Charles Howe, son of Lt. Caleb Howe UEL of the Queens Rangers and Esther Fairweather, on 20 Dec 1822 in Norton, Kings County, New Brunswick
  • She appears in the Canadian census enumerations of 1851, 1861, 1871 and 1881 in Kings County, New Brunswick
  • She is not found in 1891 census so it is assumed she died between 1881 and 1891
  • She had had a large family: Robert, Caleb, Ann, Mary, William Small, George B., Esther, Charlotte Willard, and Joseph
  • Her husband, Charles, died 7 Nov 1839 in Kings County, New Brunswick
According to the page "Simon Baxter of Hebron Connecticut" at http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~jcahill/simon.htm Hannah is listed as the daughter of Elijah Baxter and Mary Smith. However, I've not been able to find any document that can substantiate that statement.

So where have I looked (other than the obvious places)?
I've not been able to find a death registration or obituary. I've also not come across a will or probate for her probable parents. I still need to look in the 1887 - 1891 editions of the Kings County Record to see if I can find any reference to her death just in case she died in that period.

So I put it out to all those other researchers, where should I look next? What other resources have I missed in my quest to find out who Hannah's parents are?

No comments:

Post a Comment