Saturday, January 9, 2021

A "Lost" Child - Henrietta Warrener

It isn't very often when I can discover a new close relative to add to my family tree. Today is one of those days.

While waiting for the January BIFHSGO monthly meeting to start I decided to pay attention to a hint on the FamilySearch one-world tree where it suggested that there may be a missing child for George Kaye Warrener and Henrietta Jane Whitfield McGregor, my great-grandparents. I've been researching my own tree for about 20 years and for the lines to my great-grandparents I thought I had everyone recorded but I figured, a quick check wouldn't hurt.
 
Looking at the family for George and Henrietta I have:
  • Winifred Violet (1904-1983)
  • Mary Adela (1906-1972)
  • George (1908-1966)
  • Ronald McGregor (1913-1943)
  • Lillian Barbara (1916-1998)
You might notice that there is a larger gap between George and Ronald between 1908 and 1913 than between the other children. I also knew that George Kaye Warrener's family was residing in the Dalmuir area of Dumbartonshire, Scotland when the known children were born.

So it was off to do a quick check on ScotlandsPeople to see what might appears.
 
Screen capture from ScotlandsPeople of the Warrener 1908-1913 search query.
Screen capture from ScotlandsPeople of the Warrener 1908-1913 search query.

As you can see, my search is very simple, the last name of Warrener and the date range of 1908 to 1913.
 
Screen capture from ScotlandsPeople for Statutory registers results from Warrener 1908-1913 search query.
Screen capture from ScotlandsPeople for Statutory registers results from Warrener 1908-1913 search query.

In the returned information there are 3 birth and 1 death record. Since the range included the birth years for George and Ronald I expected two records but not three. Since viewing the index return on ScotlandsPeople is free I clicked on the "view 3 records" to see what names appear.
 
Screen capture from ScotlandsPeople for Statutory birth registers results from Warrener 1908-1913 search query.
Screen capture from ScotlandsPeople for Statutory birth registers results from Warrener 1908-1913 search query. 
 
The RD or registration district that encompasses Dalmuir is "Old or West Kilpatrick" so seeing George and Ronald McGregor make sense. But who the heck is this Henrietta born in 1911 and registered in that same district? Henrietta is the name of my great-grandmother so could it be a daughter of George Kaye and Henrietta Warrener?

Now is when I needed to shell out a pound or so to view the digitized image for the record of Henrietta Warrener to learn who her parents are.
 
Dumbartonshire, Scotland, "Statutory Births 1855-2009," 1911 Births in the Parish of Old Kilpatrick, p. 228, Henrietta Warrener; digital image, General Register Office for Scotland,  ScotlandsPeople (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: 9 Jan 2021).
Dumbartonshire, Scotland, "Statutory Births 1855-2009," 1911 Births in the Parish of Old Kilpatrick, p. 228, Henrietta Warrener; digital image, General Register Office for Scotland,  ScotlandsPeople (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: 9 Jan 2021).

This is when my jaw dropped. I had missed a child of George Kaye Warrener and Henrietta Jane Whitfield McGregor. I had never heard of this child from my grandmother Winifred or my Dad. She was born 24 May 1911 at 1 Shaftsbury Place in Dalmuir. I know of that address since it is same place many of the children of George Kaye and Henrietta Warrener were born.

There is also a single death record for that period.
 
Screen capture from ScotlandsPeople for Statutory death registers results from Warrener 1908-1913 search query.
Screen capture from ScotlandsPeople for Statutory death registers results from Warrener 1908-1913 search query.

That looks to be the same person but the only way to be certain is to pay my 6 credits (£1.50) to view the digitized image of the death record.
 
Dumbartonshire, Scotland, "Statutory Deaths 1855-2009," 1912 Deaths in the Parish of Old Kilpatrick, p. 2, Henrietta Warrener; digital image, General Register Office for Scotland,  ScotlandsPeople (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: 9 Jan 2021).
Dumbartonshire, Scotland, "Statutory Deaths 1855-2009," 1912 Deaths in the Parish of Old Kilpatrick, p. 2, Henrietta Warrener; digital image, General Register Office for Scotland,  ScotlandsPeople (www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk: 9 Jan 2021).

And, unfortunately or fortunately depending on your perspective, it is the civil statutory death registration for Henrietta. She died on 31 Dec 1911 at about 11 p.m. from measles.

Why, until this time, was she missed by me and others?

One reason is that she was born just after the 1911 census of Scotland took place on 2 Apr 1911. If she had been born 2 months earlier then she would have appeared in that enumeration.
 
However, the main reason is on me. I just didn't pay attention to the several year gap between George and Ronald. It wasn't until FamilySearch prodded me that there may be missing child that I took the time to do a quick check.

So welcome to the family Henrietta. You are no longer lost to the sands of time and will now be remembered by generations to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment